CalfWise Oral Electrolyte - 1kg
Oral electrolyte for dehydrated or scouring calves
Notify me when back in stock
Oral electrolytes are the mainstay of treatment for dehydration in calves.
Dehydration occurs when the body loses more fluid than it takes in which can happen in any illness such as pneumonia and scours. The aims of oral electrolyte treatment are:
- To correct metabolic disturbances, by correcting the blood pH.
- To replace lost salts, such as sodium and potassium.
- To facilitate absorption of sodium and water.
- To provide energy.
CalfWise Electrolyte has been formulated to meet all of these requirements. It is available in 3 sizes: 3kg, 8kg and 16kg.
NB. Whilst oral electrolytes do contain some energy, continued milk feeding is still needed to meet a calf’s energy needs. For calves that are depressed and unwilling to suck, milk should be given in smaller amounts (eg. 3 x 1L) throughout the day. Milk feeds should be fed separately from oral electrolytes (eg. 2 hours apart). Ad lib water should always be available for calves to drink.
Instructions for mixing CalfWise oral electrolytes:
- Using the measuring scoop provide, add 3 scoops (120g) to 2 litres of warm water.
- Mix thoroughly. The product easily dissolves into solution.
- Feed immediately via teat or oesophageal feeder as required.
NB. The mix rate of oral electrolytes is very important. If electrolytes are too concentrated, this can have an adverse effect on the calf and may exacerbate diarrhoea and/or cause bloat.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other The Vet Group users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.